Founded in 1880 by Adriano Ramos Pinto, this Port House has always had a pioneering spirit – from the distinctive and stylish ‘art nouveau’ advertising from the 1900s to the continuing wide ranging vineyard research with results that have benefited the whole port trade. Champagne Louis Roederer, now the majority shareholder, perpetuates this philosophy and ensures continuity in a company renowned for wine-making excellence.
Ramos Pinto holds the largest proportion of vineyards in relation to its production, giving it a high degree of control over viticultural methods and harvest timing. The house tends 187 hectares of prime vineyards in the Alto Corgo and Douro Superior areas of the famed Douro region, the mountainous valley formed by the Douro River and its tributaries.
Made from wines of the Quinta de Bom Retiro, this is a blend with an average age of 20 years, an adult and sophisticated tawny. Its classic characteristic aroma and palate are the result of the artistry achieved by the head of the tasting room.
Tawny colour with red tints. Lovely aroma of complex luscious mature fruit, spices and vanilla. Sweet and multi-layered palate with mellow dried fruit and a deep spicy flavour plus a ripe dark fruits dimension. Very long savoury finish.
Delicious as an aperitif or following an evening meal. It can also accompany chocolate, cheeses and cream-based desserts or desserts that are not overly sweet.
Serve between 14º and 18º C. Store the bottle upright, in a cool, dry and dark place.
DWWA 2016: Gold Medal
DWWA 2014: Gold Medal & Regional Trophy: Tawny Port Over £15
Richard Mayson for Decanter: 98 Points
Mundus Vini Grand Gold Award 2016
Wine & Spirits: 91 POINTS
“Bom Retiro is a historic property on the south side of the Douro River canyon, across the river from Pinhão. It has been owned by Ramos Pinto since 1919 and provides the fruit for this Tawny. The wine’s earthy honey scent suggests its supple textures, while there’s brightness to its orange marmalade flavors, the lasting impression firm, juicy and clean.”
Douro Valley, Portugal