Paternoster has been one of the most important wineries in the Basilicata region of Southern Italy since 1927. It was Anselmo Paternoster who first began bottling and selling wines under the Paternoster family name, while Pino Paternoster was among the first to produce wines under the Aglianico del Vulture DOC in 1971. Since 2016, the family’s long tradition in the region has been paired with the Tommasi expertise.
The winery is located in Barile, the heart of Basilicata, a region with unique volcanic soil and climatic conditions. The estate extends over 20 hectares divided into several crus of very old vineyards in the four districts of Rotondo, Macarico, Pian di Carro and Gelosia, planted between 450 and 600m altitude. All plots are cultivated on a natural terrace overlooking Mount Vulture, an extinct volcano that produces fine wines with an authentic soul.
Classic red wine vinification with destemmed grapes; maceration on the skins in stainless steel for 12-15 days at 25°-28°C, with periodic pumping over and punching down of the cap. Maturation for 12 months in large Slavonian oak casks for 80% of the wine and in (not new) French barriques for the remaining 20% for 14 months. 7-8 months bottle-aging.
A vibrant ruby red in color, it displays an ethereal, fragrantly fruity bouquet of blackberries, blueberries, wild berries and pepper. On the palate it is dry and velvety, with well-integrated tannins; it reveals great balance and a persistent aftertaste.
Excellent with all game and red meat dishes, as well as with mature cheeses.
100% Aglianico del Vulture