Ramos Pinto were the original pioneers of quality winemaking in the Douro, a legacy that lives on today and has been adopted throughout the region.
Quinta da Urtiga is located in Cima Corgo next to Quinta do Bom Retiro. It is 3.4 hectares in size with 12,500 vines planted on pre-Phylloxera terraces planted over 200 years ago.
63 different indigenous varieties are planted as a field blend. Production is 100% organic and biodynamic (since 2017). The vines have an average age of 100 years. GPS systems monitor the vines’ maturation and enable very precise control and monitoring of phenological conditions, the number of bunches of grapes, the weight of the branches as well as resistance to drought, rot and heat. Grapes are very carefully selected with imperfect fruit being discarded two days before harvest.
Following regular visits to the vineyard, a date for harvest is set, when a specialist team removes all the grapes that are not in perfect condition. The following day, early in the morning, the harvest begins. On arrival at the winery, grapes are triaged, destemmed, crushed and forwarded to the granite lagar. Here, the grapes are trodden by foot in the traditional manner. An initial tread on the first day is followed by daily punchdowns prior to pressing. Alcoholic and malolactic fermentations take place off the skins, in French oak vats. Aged in oak for 16 months – 90% in small foudres and the remaining 10% in new French oak barrels. Once bottled, the wine ages for over two years.
The cool temperatures and regular rainfall in winter and early spring delayed the start of the growing cycle. Although summer was dry with high temperatures, water reserves in the soil led to the perfect concentration of aromas, mature tannins and fresh acidity. Harvest began on 20th September.
Urtiga 2018 is vivid crimson in colour with a fresh and spiced nose. Highly aromatic and complex, showing notes of wet stone, juniper, cranberry and wet soil. Green pepper and clove notes gradually appear, adding another layer. Elegant and silky texture thanks to the supple tannins, the level of which is high, but well-integrated. A long finish with freshness and liveliness.
Perfect with game, such as partridge or wild boar as well as oven-baked fish such as sea bass or bream.
cool room temperature.
Douro Valley, Portugal
63 indigenous varieties