Established in 1881, Pio Cesare, now run by fifth generation Pio Boffa, was one of the very first producers to believe in the potential and quality of the great wines of Piemonte and to export to the UK. A ceaseless devotion to the individuality of each of the region’s wines informs Pio’s choices in the vineyards and cellar. He applies a ‘minimal intervention’ philosophy to wine making, creating wines that year after year, are ranked among the world’s best wines.
The grapes for this wine come exclusively from the family’s vineyards; in the Barbaresco region in Treiso (Cascina Il Bricco), in the Barolo area in Serralunga d’Alba (Colombaro Vineyards) and in Trezzo Tinella (Bossania Vineyards).
The grapes are picked by hand and then gently pressed. 75% is fermented in stainless steel tanks and the remaining 25%, on its lees in new French oak barriques where the wine remains for five months. The wine is bottled the March following harvest.
“Piemonte produced excellent quality wine in 2016, with ripeness to match the very good 2015 but firmer tannin and higher acidity. Ideal harvest conditions allowed the Nebbiolo to ripen fully, and yields were higher than average too. Arneis also fared well, producing precise, juicy white wines.” www.jancisrobinson.com
L’Altro or ‘the other’ is Pio’s second Chardonnay. It is nevertheless full of character and intensity with lovely citrus and apple pie notes. It is full-bodied, rounded with pleasant acidity on the finish.
Salmon, pork, butternut squash ravioli or risotto, roast chicken.
Serve at 12-14°C.
Langhe DOC, Piemonte
10% Sauvignon Blanc