Pio Cesare Barbaresco ‘Il Bricco’ 2015

Producer Information

Established in 1881, Pio Cesare, now run by fifth generation Pio Boffa, was one of the very first producers to believe in the potential and quality of the great wines of Piemonte and to export to the UK. A ceaseless devotion to the individuality of each of the region’s wines informs Pio’s choices in the vineyards and cellar. He applies a ‘minimal intervention’ philosophy to wine making, creating wines that year after year, are ranked among the world’s best wines.


The grapes are sourced exclusively from the single vineyard ‘Il Bricco’ estate, one of the prime sites within the Barberesco appellation situated in the village of Trieso.


The grapes are hand-harvested, then gently pressed and fermented on the skins for 15 days at 25° to 26°C in stainless steel. 70% of the wine is then aged in mid-toasted French oak (a third new) for 30 months. The remaining 30% is aged in 20 to 50 hectolitre casks.

Tasting Note

This wine is powerful and structured, rich in ripe fruit, opulent, spicy and will have a very long life.

Food Pairing

Serve with red meat dishes, game or seasonal truffle, mature cheeses.

Serving Suggestion

Serve at 16-18°C.


The Wine Advocate: 93 POINTS
June 28, 2019, Monica Larner

“From the Bricco di Treiso MGA, the 2015 Barbaresco Il Bricco is a rich and nicely layered red wine that shows the warm characteristics of the vintage with dark berry fruit, cherry and light touches of exotic spice. I paired this wine with lightly aged salami that worked beautifully, thanks to the oily nature of the food and the fresh nature of the wine. Some 7,000 bottles were made.”

Wine & Spirits: 92 POINTS
December 2019

“A blend of fruit from three estate-owned plots in the Bricco di Treiso cru, this aged for 30 months in large oak botti, with a small portion in French oak for 18 months. It shows the imprint of 2015’s warm, dry growing season in its flavors of baked plum and cherry liqueur, yet finds lift in notes of menthol and cinchona bark.”

Decanter: 93 POINTS
May 7, 2019

“The Bricco vineyard in Treiso is known for producing solid, ageworthy wines. Combined with Pio Cesare’s use of stainless steel for vinification and then botti and barrique for maturation, the result is an elegant, fresh yet structured wine with hidden power. The broad palate has a chocolate edge to it, with oak astringency and plummy hedgerow fruit in tow. The fine, delicate tannins give grip but there’s a lovely juicy character just waiting to break out. If you need to drink this right away it deserves decanting. Approximately 5,000 bottles produced. ”

JamesSuckling.com: 97 POINTS
December 17, 2018, James Suckling

“This shows phenomenal structure to it with fantastic linear tannins that take this wine deep and long on the palate. It’s buttressed by a beautiful balance of ripe fruit characterized by strawberry and orange-peel undertones. Chewy and focused. Needs four or five years to soften and show its true greatness.”

Barbaresco DOCG, Piemonte
100% Nebbiolo
Natural Cork

Download PDF Print Producer page Contact us